Membership falls into four categories:
- past and present staff (including graduates holding post-doctoral research positions) of universities and other academic or research institutions;
- postgraduate research students currently registered at a university within the United Kingdom;
- past and present officials of two Houses of Parliament, the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Parliament, the Northern Ireland Assembly, Tynwald, the Oireachtas and the Channel Islands parliaments; and
- other persons having a serious and proven interest in the objects of the Group, not being members of any of the above legislatures when first elected to membership.
Candidates’ details are circulated to the Executive Committee for consideration via email (usually in batches, roughly once a month), and then nominations are circulated to existing Group members for their views. Initial inquiries, preferably accompanied by details of work done in the areas of the Group’s interests (see above) should be addressed to:
- categories i, ii and iv: Dr Daniel Gover (d.p.goverqmul.ac.uk)
- category iii: Matthew Congreve (CONGREVEMparliament.uk)
The current annual subscription is £25 (apart from category ii, where it is £10): this will be asked for if and when the application has been successful.